Wednesday Premier League Review

United Resurgence

Manchester United have continued their glory run under interim boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with a 2-0 away win over Newcastle in the Premier League on Wednesday

Substitute Romelu Lukaku scored with his first touch of the match in the 64th minute after profiting from a Martin Dubravka spill while Marcus Rashford made certain of the points with a strike in the 80th minute.

After a miserable first half to the season under Solskjaer’s predecessor Jose Mourinho, the win simply adds to the growing adoration being shown by United supporters towards their former player.

The win keeps the Red Devils in sixth, only three points behind Fifth place Arsenal.

Uninspiring Chelsea

Meanwhile at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea were held to a goalless draw by Southampton as Maurizio Sarri’s men lost further ground in the title race.

The host had 72% of possession but could not find their way through a well-organised and disciplined Saints side as it ended goalless.

Eden Hazard was twice denied by Saints goalkeeper Angus Gunn and Alvaro Morata had a strike ruled out for offside as the Blues’ lack of attacking precision was evident once more.

One of Southampton’s eight changes following the loss to Manchester City came in goal where Gunn replaced Alex McCarthy to make his Premier League debut, earned his wages on the night as he helped the Saints keep their first clean sheet of the season.

Palace On The Way Up

Crystal Palace upset high-flying Wolves with a 2-0 win at Molineux while West Ham clawed themselves back from two goals down to earn a 2-2 home draw with Brighton.

Beginning Of The End For Huddersfield ?

Relegation bells rung a lot louder at the John Smith’s Stadium after home side, Huddersfield lost 2-1 to Burnley.

Sean Dyche’s Burnley climb out of the bottom three and move to 16th with their second win in a row while Town are rooted to the bottom of the table now eight points from safety.

Thriller At Dean Court

Six goals in the first, none in the second and a point each for Bournemouth and Watford after a blistering start to the New Year in the South Coast.

Troy Deeney’s two goals gave Watford a commanding lead before Bournemouth responded in quickfire fashion with goals from Nathan Ake and Callum Wilson

Watford’s Ken Sema restored the lead for the visitors, before Scotland international Ryan Fraser levelled the scores to make it 3-3 before the break in what was an exhilarating game of Premier League footballThe scores would remain that way for the rest of the game.

And finally at the London Stadium, Marko Arnautovic scored a quick double to rescue a 2-2 draw for West Ham against Brighton on Wednesday in a Premier League game that saw all four goals scored in a 12-minute span in the second half.

Brighton had taken a 2-0 lead in the 58th minute when Shane Duffy met a corner at the far post and flicked the ball into the net from a tight angle, just two minutes after Dale Stephens had scored from another corner to put the visitors on course for a fourth straight win over West Ham.

West Ham also needed just two minutes to stage a comeback, as Arnautovic first met a ball over the top from Mark Noble and slotted a shot between the legs of goalkeeper David Button in the 66th and then took advantage of Michail Antonio’s raid down the left to score the equalizer in the 58th.