“The patient … is doing well without medical complications. He is able to walk around his room. Following clinical analyses resuming renal assistance was not necessary,” the Sao Paulo hospital treating him said on Tuesday.
The clinic added that 74-year-old Edson Arantes do Nascimento, better known worldwide as Pele, is now receiving “semi-intensive” care but remains in the same bed as previously.
“A further evaluation of kidney function will be undertaken early tomorrow,” the hospital said, adding that Pele was “lucid and eating well” without breathing difficulties while receiving antibiotics intravenously.
The clinic suspended renal assistance on Sunday, six days after the three-time world champion was admitted.
First tests showed that Pele, widely regarded as the greatest player of all time, was suffering from a urinary infection requiring administration of intravenous antibiotics.
Last Thursday, the hospital said the man nicknamed ‘O Rei’ (the king) had been placed in intensive care after his condition became “clinically unstable,” causing widespread alarm.
But Friday, the clinic said he was responding to antibiotics while the star insisted via social media he had simply been moved to another room for more privacy.
Pele has only one kidney after the other was removed following complications from a rib injury he suffered while playing for the New York Cosmos in the 1970s, his agent Jose “Pepito” Fornos told AFP over the weekend.
Pele underwent surgery for kidney stones at the same hospital on November 13.