Narrow victories for Chelsea and Arsenal; Huddersfield hit four

Chelsea went level on points with second-placed Manchester United after seeing off Southampton 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

The champions should have broken the deadlock with a quarter of an hour played when Willian, through on goal, steered wide, and they threatened again when Fraser Forster saved from Gary Cahill.

Southampton, who lost Cedric Soare to injury, were in danger again when Willian mishit his shot after Pedro had been unable to get to a cross and Tiemoue Bakayoko saw an effort fly wide off a defender.

Chelsea were within a whisker of going in front when a Pedro shot was deflected against the post and away — and just before the break they did so when Marcos Alonso curled a free kick low past Forster.

Thibaut Courtois made an excellent save to deny substitute Charlie Austin after the break, but Chelsea thought they had scored a second only for Cesc Fabregas to be denied by an offside flag.

Mesut Ozil struck a spectacular winner for Arsenal as they saw off struggling Newcastle 1-0 at the Emirates.

Arsenal made a bright start and Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot saved Alexandre Lacazette’s drive, with Lacazette seeing another effort deflected wide before 10 minutes had been played.

Arsene Wenger’s side had the lead they deserved after 23 minutes when Ozil fired an outstanding volley into the top corner after Newcastle had half-cleared, and Hector Bellerin fired a volley of his own high over as Arsenal pressed.

Second-half substitute Matt Ritchie tried to get his side going but saw his effort from the edge of the area fly over the top before Jack Wilshere saw his effort well saved by Rob Elliot. And as the visitors kept battling, Joselu’s shot Laurent Koscielny and bounced wide with Petr Cech stranded.

Huddersfield got their first Premier League away win since the opening day of the season with a 4-1 triumph at

Watford .

The visitors needed only five minutes to open the scoring, with Elias Kachunga — who appeared to be offside — prodding home following a scramble.

Soon afterwards, Kachunga suffered a leg injury in a challenge with Watford keeper Heurelho Gomez and was stretchered off — but that did not affect the visitors, who doubled the lead through Aaron Mooy.

The Hornets’ tough task became even more difficult after 33 minutes when Troy Deeney was sent off for a rash challenge on Florent Hadergjonaj, and they were three goals down when Laurent Delpoitre struck early in the second period.

Huddersfield were reduced to 10 men when Jonathan Hogg was sent off for a second bookable offence, and although Watford got one back when Abdoulaye Doucoure lashed home with 68 minutes gone, Mooy rounded things off from the penalty spot late on.

Two fine first-half goals laid the foundations for Crystal Palace to win 3-0 at Leicester and move up to 14th in the Premier League.

Roy Hodgson’s side had looked the brighter from the early stages and led after 19 minutes when Christian Benteke headed home a whipped Andros Townsend cross from the right for their first away league goal of the season.

With five minutes remaining until half-time, they doubled their lead against an off-form home side who struggled to create clear-cut chances as Benteke picked out Wilfried Zaha, who thumped beyond Kasper Schmeichel, and substitute Bakary Sako added a third in second-half stoppage time.

In-form Burnley settled for a point after being on the back foot for long spells of their 0-0 draw at Brighton .

After a cagey start, Brighton began to exert some pressure with Lewis Dunk, up from defence for a free kick, seeing his shot ricochet to safety off a defender and Glenn Murray then going close.

Pascal Gross was thwarted by a fine stop from Nick Pope as the Seagulls looked the better side, and they should have taken the lead when Murray was adjudged to have been fouled by James Tarkowski inside the area only for the striker to fire a wild penalty high over the bar.

Burnley, who had failed to muster much threat in the first half, soon did so in the second when Chris Wood was denied by Brighton keeper Mat Ryan, and Ryan then made a fine double block before Wood turned the ball home but was ruled offside.

Music, Football and every other thing....REPEAT