Man City must regroup from Wigan shock

Pep Guardiola always maintained it was unrealistic to think that Manchester City could win the quadruple, but it’s almost more unfeasible that a side battling for promotion from League One would be the ones to kill off that dream.

City have gone to Premier League champions Chelsea, bitter rivals Manchester United and Serie A leaders Napoli, dominated them on their own ground and won. Meanwhile, title rivals Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal were methodically taken apart at the Etihad Stadium.

Before Monday night, Man City had lost just twice all season. The first was the final inconsequential game of their Champions League group away to Shakhtar Donetsk and the other a pulsating Premier League defeat to Liverpool.

Yet despite that, it is Wigan — with an average attendance of fewer than 9,000 this season — that ended City’s hopes of writing their names in the history books with an unprecedented clean sweep of four trophies by knocking them out of the FA Cup.

While the Latics are not quite the ragtag assortment of plumbers and bus drivers normally associated with the greatest cup shocks, they are hardly a team of celebrity names either. Chey Dunkley, who was playing for non-league Kidderminster Harriers three years ago, was unbeatable in the centre of defence next to Dan Burn, signed on a free transfer from Fulham.

Goal hero Will Grigg is well-known for his personalised chant “Will Grigg’s On Fire” but the Northern Ireland international has only scored once for his country and has only played one season in the Championship. Midfielder Nick Powell has been predicted to make a step back into the top flight but managed just three starts at Manchester United in four years.

Yet somehow Wigan managed to shock a side under Guardiola that many thought was rewriting the rulebook on how to play football in England.

Statistically it seemed like a straightforward, dominant performance from City. They had 83 percent possession and 29 shots — although just five were on target and ex-Brighton reserve keeper Christian Walton pulled off a couple of excellent saves.

“They scored from one shot on target from our one mistake,” Guardiola said after the game. “We created good chances but in these kind of games, sometimes you cannot score a goal.”

The City boss was keen not to blame Fabian Delph’s sending off for the defeat. The England international was given a straight red card for his lunge on Wigan’s Max Power — although referee Anthony Taylor had initially taken out a yellow card.

It appeared that Guardiola wasn’t too happy with the decision at the time, as both clubs’ benches were embroiled in an argument that spilled into the tunnel as the players left the pitch at half-time.

“It’s a red card. It’s an unnecessary action,” Guardiola said. “The referee decides what he decides. It can be a red card.”

Although opinions were split amongst pundits about whether it was worth a sending off, it was the sort of lunge that Guardiola has been imploring referees to take action against. But it wouldn’t be surprising if the Catalan was frustrated that his player was punished when he has seen so many opponents escape with yellow cards.

Guardiola must now cope without Delph for three domestic games, including Sunday’s Carabao Cup final against Arsenal. Monday night’s defeat will give Arsene Wenger’s side added hope that they can cause another upset at Wembley.

Music, Football and every other thing....REPEAT