Man City come from behind to beat Schalke, Atletico edge Juventus

Atletico Madrid beat Juventus 2-0 to take control of their Champions League last 16 tie on Wednesday.

Centre-backs Jose Maria Gimenez and Diego Godin scored both Atletico’s goals from set pieces in the space of five second half minutes to earn Diego Simeone’s side a deserved victory at the Wanda Metropolitano..

A spiky clash in Madrid, where the final will be held on June 1, saw Atletico striker Diego Costa booked inside the first eight minutes and suspended for the second leg.

The enterprising forward was in the thick of the action in the first half, giving two-time winners Juventus a torrid time.

At the other end Jan Oblak tipped away a Cristiano Ronaldo free-kick, with the Portuguese striker facing his former rivals when he played across town at Real Madrid.

Costa thought he had won a penalty when he was brought down by Mattia De Sciglio but after consultation with VAR, it was downgraded to a free-kick.

The former Chelsea striker was a battering ram but wasted the best chance of the night, firing wide when through on goal early in the second half.

Antoine Griezmann nearly broke the deadlock but saw his lob tipped onto the bar by Wojciech Szczesny.

Atletico were on top in the second half and their pressure eventually told.

Substitute Alvaro Morata had a goal harshly ruled out by VAR for a push on defender Giorgio Chiellini, but Gimenez sent Atletico ahead shortly afterwards.

The Uruguayan defender reacted quickest to stab home in the 78th minute after a scramble in the box from a corner.Then Godin’s effort deflected into the net against Ronaldo to earn the Rojiblancos a huge first leg victory.

Elsewhere In Gelsenkirchen, Ten-man Manchester City scored twice in the last five minutes of regulation time to defeat Schalke 3-2 in the first leg of their Champions League round-of-16 tie.

It started that way, when a grievous defensive error handed City the lead. 

David Silva stole the ball from Salif Sane on the edge his own box and squared for Aguero to hammer home in the 18th minute.

City appeared in complete control but Schalke equalised from the penalty spot in the 38th minute, with midfielder Bentaleb sending Ederson the wrong way.

After a long referral to VAR the spot kick was eventually awarded, for a handball by Nicolas Otamendi blocking Daniel Caligiuri’s shot.

In the 45th minute the Bundesliga side were awarded another penalty after Fernandinho pulled back Salif Sane and was booked, meaning he is also banned for the return.

Algerian international Bentaleb blasted home from the spot, this time going for the opposite side of the goal.Manchester City found it hard to break down Schalke’s defence after the break and matters worsened for Pep Guardiola’s side when Otamendi was given a second yellow card for a foul on Caligiuri and dismissed.

Guardiola brought on winger Leroy Sane to run at his former side in the final 15 minutes and the German winger produced a brilliant free-kick to level the scores.Then Sterling reached a long punt from goalkeeper Ederson and held his nerve to slot home in the 90th minute to complete City’s comeback. The second legs take place on March 12.