FA Cup Review: United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal advance as Cardiff, Huddersfield crash out

Manchester United 2 – 0 Reading

United maintained their winning start under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as his much changed side beat second-tier strugglers Reading 2-0 at home in the FA Cup third round.

Juan Mata’s penalty kick and a well-taken effort in first half stoppage time by Romelu Lukaku, given his first start since Solskjaer took over, sent Manchester United into the fourth round.

Blackpool 0-3 Arsenal

A journey that began with a Blackpool protester sitting on top of Arsenal’s team bus ended with Arsenal comfortably booking their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Joe Willock, one of two teenagers in the Gunners’ starting line-up, scored twice in the first half and Alex Iwobi added a third in the 82nd minute to secure a 3-0 victory.

Chelsea 2 – 0 Nottingham Forest

Chelsea begin the defense of the club’s eighth FA Cup title with a home match against Nottingham Forest.Maurizio Sarri named Callum Hudson-Odoi in his starting XI amid speculation the academy product could move to Bayern Munich and he set up Alvaro Morata’s first goal in seven games to put Chelsea in front on 49 minutes. Morata then doubled the lead with a header 10 minutes later as Sarri’s mean eased into the fourth round.


Everton were made to work hard to book a place in the fourth round by League Two leaders Lincoln City as the Toffees battled to a 2-1 victory.

Ademola Lookman headed the Toffees into the lead before Brazilian winger Bernard made it 2-0 inside the opening 15 minutes at Goodison Park. 

Lincoln pulled a goal back when Michael Bostwick pounced from close range.


Huddersfield also crashed out in a 1-0 defeat, with Josh Brownhill grabbing the only goal for Bristol City 18 minutes from the end.

While an 81st minute strike from Elliott List was enough to separate the two sides in Gillingham 1-0 win over Cardiff City.


Southampton did take their place in the fourth-round draw, but they face a replay at home to Derby County after letting a two-goal first-half lead slip to draw 2-2 at Pride Park.

Matt Ritchie rescued a draw for Newcastle United against Blackburn Rovers..

West Ham waited until stoppage time for Andy Carroll to add to Marko Arnautovic’s opener in a 2-0 win over Birmingham City.

Crystal Palace also left it late, scoring through Jordan Ayew in the 86th minute as Grimsby Town, who played with 10 men for 88 minutes, were beaten at Selhurst Park.