Eintracht B 0-3 West Ham: Pre-Season Match Report

Modibo Maiga’s double helped West Ham to a 3-0 win over Bundesliga new-boys Eintracht Braunschweig on Saturday.

All of the game’s goals came in the opening 45 minutes at the Eintracht-Stadion, with Maiga’s first occurring in unusual circumstances as an attempted clearance rebounded off the striker and looped in.

He then set up Mohamed Diame for the second, before capitalising on some poor defending to wrap the game up a minute shy of the half-time whistle.

Sam Allardyce named a strong side with Mark Noble and Joe Cole both featuring, while the home side introduced ex-Norwich City striker Simeon Jackson as a second-half substitute.

The opening 20 minutes were dominated by West Ham, who were comfortable in possession, and they were duly awarded for their play in the 22nd minute – albeit in bizarre fashion.

Defender Ermin Bicakcic’s attempted clearance from the left-hand side struck Maiga from 30 yards, the ball spun high into the air and deceived goalkeeper Daniel Davari who was left stranded.

There was no let-up from the Premier League side whose advantage was doubled three minutes before half-time.

Maiga showed good pace down the right-hand side, before laying the ball into the path of Diame who worked hard to keep up with play. He held off his marker before backheeling an effort under the goalkeeper.

Two minutes later the game was put beyond doubt when Maiga pounced on a loose back-pass to round Davari and make it 3-0.

West Ham continued to dominate possession in the second half but struggled to create clear-cut chances. A raft of changes in the 60th minute also played a part in slowing down the tempo of the game.

Jackson almost pulled one back for Braunschweig late on, but he failed to connect with his 25-yard effort which sailed harmlessly to goalkeeper Adrian.

The win completes West Ham’s three-game tour of Germany. A 4-1 loss to Mainz last Saturday was followed by a 3-1 success over Hamburg on Tuesday.

They begin their league campaign with a home fixture against newly promoted Cardiff City on August 17.