AVB silent on Bale’s desire to quit Spurs

Gareth Bale will fly into London from Hong Kong on Sunday for decisive talks with Tottenham over his future after Andre Villas-Boas pointedly refused to deny a Real Madrid offer for the winger.

Spanish giants Real are understood to have to lodged a formal bid of Ôé¼60 million (┬ú51.8 million) for the 24 year-old, with reports in Spain suggesting that the player is determined to move to the Bernabeu as a result of alleged “broken promises” by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

Bale sat out TottenhamÔÇÖs 6-0 victory against South China in the Barclays Asia Trophy due to a muscle strain that also forced him to miss the midweek defeat against Sunderland in the same tournament.

When asked after the game to clarify the situation about the Wales international, and whether a bid had been received, Villas-Boas repeatedly failed to shed light on the playerÔÇÖs future. ÔÇ£I donÔÇÖt want to comment on anything like that,ÔÇØ the Spurs manager said. ÔÇ£I cannot speak about anything.ÔÇØ

When asked whether Bale had asked to leave the club, Villa-Boas said: ÔÇ£I cannot speak about this.ÔÇØ

Although Manchester United are also keen to sign Bale, with manager David Moyes willing to compete for the player, Real are understood to be the WelshmanÔÇÖs favoured option should he leave Tottenham.

He will return to London with the Spurs squad on Sunday evening and it is expected that the Tottenham hierarchy will accelerate discussions with Bale and his representatives.

Despite claims by Villas-Boas that the club have spent the past 12 months attempting to negotiate a new contract with Bale, talks are believed to have made little progress and there is disappointment on the playerÔÇÖs part that Spurs have failed to resolve the matter.

Bale is due to return to full training on Wednesday and could figure in TottenhamÔÇÖs friendly against Monaco next Saturday.