The 2022 TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon kicks off today. Please be aware of the following information:
During the Afcon 2022 competition, CAF will use the five substitutions per game rule as follows:
– A maximum of five substitutes will be allowed for each team.
– To minimise play interruption, each team will be allowed a maximum of three substitutes throughout the game; substitutions could also be performed at half-time.
– If both teams make a substitution at the same time, this counts as one of each team’s three substitution opportunities.
– Extra time is used to carry over any unutilized substitutions or opportunities.
– Teams will be given one more substitution and will have one extra substitution chance if extra time is used; substitutions may also be performed before the start of extra time and at half-time during extra time.
In the event that a team is affected by Covid-19, there are rules for the minimum amount of players that must be present.
If a player’s Covid-19 PCR test results are positive, he or she will not be permitted to enter the stadium or compete in the relevant match.
If a team has a minimum of eleven (11) players who have tested negative, they will be entitled to play a match. In the event that a goalkeeper is unavailable, another player from the team must fill in, as long as the total number of eligible players is at least eleven.
If a team does not have a minimum of eleven (11) players available, the match will be considered a 0-2.
In rare circumstances, the Africa Cup of Nations Organizing Committee will make the necessary decision.